Monday, October 17, 2011

(Almost) Always the optimist

Yup, that's me. I'm a pretty optimistic person, I am fairly good at trusting that the Lord will help get us to where we need to be, no matter the obstacles. I haven't always been this way. I always really tried when I was a teenager, but I succumbed to negativity and darkness. Anyone who reads me who knew me as a teenager would probably be surprised that I turned out the way I did! I was looking at my Jr. High yearbooks the other day, and discovered something I had totally forgotten. I was a member of Youth Under Christ in eighth grade (the first time. Yes, I repeated eighth grade. When I was young, I didn't think school was terribly important.) I had totally forgotten. I think the whole reason I joined was because I figured the Christian kids were more likely to be accepting of me, and not mean. I mean, we went to church, but I never really fit in there any better than I fit in any where else. I wonder how the course of my life would have gone if I had chosen to stick with Youth Under Christ instead of going the way I did, with the darkness? No point in wondering REALLY - my life's choices have made me who I am today, and I wouldn't change a thing, but still a curiosity thing for me. One of these days I'll post my testimony (it'll be a two day post) and then you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Because right now I'm way off topic of what I was going to talk about.

Last week, we were told by the leasing office at our apartment complex that the people who live above us are moving out. We don't know when exactly, but they've not renewed their lease. So we decided we would very likely just stay here another year, since the majority of our problems are tied into the stomping from above, the birdseed, the mice caused by the birdseed, etc. Last night, I was talking to our downstairs neighbor. I mentioned that the people upstairs were moving out, and she wasn't surprised. She wondered how anyone could afford to stay... she was not going to renew her lease since they were raising her rent by $400. Seriously. She signed her lease a month or two before we did, so it isn't like sh'es been here for five years and she's due to have her rent adjusted for the times or something. She's lived here a little under a year. Just like we have lived here a little under a year. Needless to say, the chances that we'll be staying here are a lot slimmer than they were. When I'm done writing this post, I plan to call the leasing office to find out if they can estimate what our rent will go up to. We would like to start preparing if we'll need to move again - about 2 weeks from delivery date by the time our lease terminates, so it would be nice to not have to do all of our packing when I'm huge. When I was pregnant with Gage, we moved when I was about a month from delivery... course I felt a lot better with that pregnancy, and we didn't already have a toddler, so it was a bit more simple.

Brian is concerned about the rent hike, as he wonders if rents going up by THAT much are standard among apartments, or if it's just here. He's worried about moving when I'm extremely pregnant, and he's unhappy that we've moved each year since 2009. I'm on board with these worries to some extent; I can't say I'm excited to move AGAIN, I hope everywhere isn't raising rents too much, and I hope we can get Gage into a stable home that we can stay for a while. But I trust that we'll end up just where we need to be. Maybe we'll find an even better apartment. Maybe we'll find a house we can rent. Who knows? Maybe we'll find someplace we'll want to live for the next 5 years. Sometimes things that seem miserable when they happen can lead to good outcomes, ultimately. God only knows, and time will tell. But for now, I'm trying to let the troubles roll by, and pray it all comes clear in time.

How do you deal with stress? Do you worry yourself sick? Do you just let it go? Or do you lay it at the feet of God and trust that He'll bring you through? 

No comments:

Post a Comment