Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years.

I won't post much today because I'm in the mood for more of a thoughtful day than a blog posting can really get across. I want to treasure my family and be thankful for the many blessings I have been given, like freedom, life, and liberty. There are many people who serve our country and make those rights possible, who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country. I want to pray more for our troops, our first responders, and their families. I want to remember in my prayers to thank God for giving some folks the bravery and strength of character to defend our country against all threats.

Today, on the tenth anniversary of the worst attack on American soil, take a moment to remember. Remember that day, what you were doing, how you felt when you saw or heard about those planes hitting. I will never forget what I saw that day and how I felt. Remember how you felt after. Were you a little kinder to those around you? Did you reconsider before complaining about something that really wasn't worth a complaint? Bring back that aspect of the aftermath. Let our kindness to our fellow man be the legacy of those who lost their lives. Whether you are a Christian or not, you can live Jesus' greatest teaching: love one another. If you have the opportunity, do something for someone that will unexpectedly brighten their day. Not just today, but any day.

We will never forget, and we shouldn't. There was terror that day, yes. Unspeakable, unimaginable terror, death, suffering, hate, and pain. But there was also strength, bravery, life, recovery, love, and healing, that day and going forward. It is the latter that means that all those who died did not die in vain. Remember the first responders who rushed in, again and again, saving lives while knowing full well that they'd be giving theirs.
We will not forget. Not in ten years, not in fifty, and not in one hundred. What rose from those ashes of death on September 11, 2001 was life.

No comments:

Post a Comment