Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh, that's right! It IS still winter!

We've had a run of really beautiful weather these last few weeks. Really, pretty much since the somewhat large snow storm in early February. I always love when it feels like spring comes early in Colorado, although our winters are peppered with insanely cold, snowy days alternating with warm, sunny days. A long run of warm days start to give me spring fever.

When I woke up today, my Droid's weather app showed a different story... 17 degrees and foggy. Oh, how I missed the fog when we lived in Albuquerque. The closest you got to fog there was when the 65 mile/hour winds would blow all the sands out of the west and you'd feel like an extra in The Scorpion King. There were more than a few times that I tied a bandana around my face and wore sunglesses just to drag the trash can up to the garage before it was swept down the street and gone forever. I don't miss that wind.

But I did miss the fog. Way back when Brian and I lived in Castle Rock, we'd go for these fog drives where we'd drive through the deepest of fogs. It would feel like we were the only two people on earth. We would talk about all sorts of things and once we ended up pretty far from home, almost without realizing it. It was beautiful and mysterious.

Today, the fog is neither beautiful nor mysterious, it is just very cold outside. When I took the dog for a walk, I was reminded that in spite of my slight case of spring fever, it is still winter. That made me a little melancholy, but I'm ok. I'm just so thankful for being back in Colorado and away from the winds of Albuquerque.

I though maybe something profound would come out of those ramblings, but it seems not. I think I just told a very random story that loosely connected to the original plan I'd devised. You know, kind of like The Scorpion King.

No comments:

Post a Comment