Monday, June 27, 2011

Cry-it-out, Night 13 ... so far so good!

This morning Gage woke up at 4:30 AM. We ended up just going to get him, as I had had a very difficult time going to sleep. We had some issues with our upstairs neighbors being obnoxiously loud at around 11:45 PM, suffice it to say their nocturnal activities were louder than they should have been for people living on the third floor of an apartment building. I ended up just getting out of bed for a bit and making another complaint to the apartment company about them... they won't do anything but it made me feel a little better. I'd only been asleep around three and a half hours when Gage woke up, so I didn't have the strength to let him cry. Hopefully we aren't messing things up by bringing him to bed with us when he cries in the night; I really don't know what else to do at this point. He often won't cry back to sleep when he awakes. My hope is that his sleep periods will just get longer and longer until he sleeps until 6:00 or 7:00 AM. We shall see. He won't go back to sleep at 4:30, in case you're wondering. He ended up staying up and playing until about 7:30 AM, at which point we both slept for another three hours.

Tonight was a pretty good night for cry-it-out, at least so far. We started Gage's bedtime routine at 7:15 PM, at his request. We decided that we would just try and space it out enough that it would get us close to 7:45-8:00 by the time we lay him down in his crib. After all of his usual stuff, including some time looking at a Nissan Titan, then a Nissan Juke sales brochure, and doing some colors that way, we rocked him for a bit, told him how much he is loved by us, our family, our friends, and God, we lay him down. He started off laying down, but popped up as we began to walk away, crying. But, he only cried for around 10 minutes! Then he settled right down and went to sleep. We got him down at 7:45 and he was totally quiet by 8:00. This seems an important victory for us. It's 8:45 right now, so hopefully he will stay asleep. I'll keep you posted.

I've been doing some thinking the past few days about marriage, as Brian's cousin is getting married next weekend. They are a couple that remind me a little of Brian and I. They dated/co-habitated for around 5 years before getting engaged. I would like to tell you a little about my thoughts on a successful marriage... but I'm going to do it in another post. I don't feel right lumping that into this post about our crying kid, because that in and of itself brings its own special sort of stressors to a marriage. But my marriage post will address that a little too. So, I'll update again on this post when I go to bed, it should be that Gage is remaining quietly sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment