Thursday, June 2, 2011

Home bound, schedule bound

I pretty much have nothing interesting to talk about because I haven't gone anywhere since Monday except Target and for a couple of walks. So I will tell you about how Gage is doing with getting on schedule!

Tuesday night was rough. He didn't fall asleep until after 11, so I was a little apprehensive. Wednesday I woke him up at 8:30 AM (due in part to a phone call from the Editor-in-chief of the magazine.) We followed our schedule to a "T" except I bumped his nap time from 1:00 PM to noon because he was tired. When he woke up, I thought we could take advantage of the nice weather and  for go for a walk. I put Gage in a short sleeved onesie, shorts, hat, and loads of sunscreen. We walked out of the complex, down the street, to the creek trail near us, down the trail, then back up the part of the trail that runs along the highway... which was partially blocked by an anaconda.

Oh, I kid, it was more like a giant boa constrictor. Ok, fine. It was likely a large garter or bull snake (both non-poisonous) but I'll be danged if I was going to push my little fella, with nothing more for protection on his legs than sunscreen, passed it. I had this mental image of the snake, springing from the weeds, and latching onto Gage's adorable pudgy calf as it dangled from the stroller. Now, I know this is ridiculous as snakes are not typically confrontational. But I couldn't get the thought out of my head. So, I turned around and half-ran in the direction from which we had come. I may have shrieked a little. I also may have shuddered, had goose bumps, and repeatedly checked behind us because I was possibly sure that the snake was chasing us. Ahem. It was not. You know, if I had checked. And I may or may not have speed walked the rest of the way home, convinced that every bug noise from the sides of the path were rattle snakes, and that a huge snake was going to jump out at any time. Did I mention I have something of a fear of snakes?

Anyway, once we got home and I sort of calmed down, we played and waited for Brian to get home; after he arrived we ate dinner. Then Gage had a bath, something we will do as part of the schedule every other night. Especially after I heavily coat him with sunscreen. He was most assuredly ready for bed almost a full hour before his scheduled bedtime, so I went ahead and got him to bed early. He went right to sleep! He awoke early this morning (5:30 AM) and seemed ready to face the day. We took a morning walk with Brian, and Gage ended up going back to sleep for a bit longer. He also took a long nap this afternoon, which we will see if was a mistake. His going back to sleep this morning ended with him waking up at 9:30 AM, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but the proof is in bedtime. He seemed very tired at 8:30 PM, was fussy and nodding off, but wouldn't commit to sleeping. So we will try again about 9:00, which is shortly. The point is that the schedule is kind of a work in progress this week. We are working toward a schedule that is good for Gage, so there is some flexibility even though we are working on a rigid schedule. Weird, I know.

Speaking of weird, we may have seen the last of our second floor balcony mice. We have loads of sticky pads out right now, and all we seem to be collecting is bird seed. So we shall see. But for now, the balcony remains dead to me. As is the trail along the highway because who needs a daily dose of anaconda?! Seriously though, I don't like Chevy running through the brush at the side of the trail when there might be snakes. I don't like to think of her startling a snake and getting bitten, so I think for the spring, when the slitherers are coming out, we will stick to slightly more populated areas. You know, where snakes would be run over by cars before they reached them.

No comments:

Post a Comment